Friday, February 01, 2008

Crappy New Year!

Well, 2008 has not been my year. I spent most of January in the fetile position and wondering how many more Jell-O shots I have left in the fridge. A friend of mine said the best thing to do was to take one bad thing, write about it, then let it go for good. And I started to... but then other weirdo, horrible things kept happening. I don't know what I did to piss off God, but I hope that this new month will bring happier times.

I can't write all my weirdo problems in one post so I'll just pick one to start with. So here we go...

2008 Problem 1
This problem actually began at the very end of 2007. I took my sweet Jetta -that has NEVER been into a shop for repairs- in for a regular oil change and ended up in the VW repair shop. I still don't entirely understand how that oil change went wrong, but I now know that failure to reconnect an air valve is a bad thing. The VW people were really nice and got my Jetta moving again. Then 8 hours later, that stupid Check Engine light came on. I couldn't figure out if the problem was somehow linked to the oil change or if my car was somehow becoming an instant junker.

Over the next few days, I argued with the owner of the oil change place. I called a million mechanics. After all was said and done, I agreed to take the Jetta back to the VW repair shop on January 4. Unfortunately, on January 3, I got a nice glob of liquid Gain in my eye in a freak laundry accident. My right eye swelled up like a puffer fish and I couldn't see out of it. I washed it out and put eye drops, etc... But in the morning, I basically looked like this. I got to the VW place on January 4 and some dude totally drove his car in front of mine and cut in line. Asshole! Then he saw my disfigured eye and ran away without even apologizing. Then, hours later, I found out my car's problem had nothing to do with the oil change. Ugh! So a few days and $518 later, the Jetta was fixed.

On January 13, the Check Engine light came on again. I agonized about whether to take it back to the shop or just drive that car into White Rock Lake. After a week of more phone calls and investigating, I took it back to the VW repair shop. Luckily, it was a small problem and they didn't charge me! Amazing.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess it could have been worse. But you've only heard one problem. And there are several... stay tuned.

No comments: