Saturday, January 12, 2008

I Heart Guanabee!

Many months ago, my sister, A, told me about a Web site called Guanabee. It's a blog about Latin culture and if you know me, you already know I have been talking about it a lot.

The first day I visited the site, I was hooked. For the first time, I was able to read things about Latin culture that was intelligent and still had a killer sense of humor. They understand that as Latinos we have to be able to laugh at ourselves, better ourselves, and still make fun of people from time to time.

I do comment on the site regularly. I use the screen name Latin_Princess. Remember when I worked at that one place and I was the only minority? And my white coworkers were always on pins and needles and watched every single word they spoke. I jokingly demanded that we celebrate the feast day of the Lady of Guadalupe and they did it! I was like their Latin Princess so I've always used that screen name. It's been with me for a long time - back when underscores were still used.

Around Christmas, Guanabee had a give-away for a new Razr2 phone. And if you've seen my current cell phone then you know why I was eager to enter. You had to creatively express to Guanabee why you are a good Latino. So I wrote them about a few things that I have been doing over the last year and Papa Guanabee gifted me with one of those new phones. Hot damn!

Then, this week, they gave me a "Commenter Shout-Out!" It's a very cool thing to get from a kick ass site. Not to get all sappy, but I really respect their work so to have them give me a shout-out was balls-out-awesome! Thanks, G-bee!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

¡Que fabulosa - princesa latina!

Anonymous said...

I want you to email me your entry. I remember you telling me about the phone contest. Of course you won!

Anonymous said...

cheater :P

soledad.en.masa. said...

You're just being coy. :P