Friday, April 28, 2006

Names

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A while back my sister sent me a link to a site that will tell you when your name was popular, the years in which the popularity rose and declined, etc. It's actually a very cool site and you can see it here.

My sister pointed out that my name was most popular in 1880. It was in the top ten names given to girls in the late 1800s in the U.S. As time went by it decreased in popularity. In fact, the year the name was given to me was its LOWEST point of popularity. Thanks, mom and dad!

Then, I remembered the many, many times people say things like, "My great-aunt is named Clara." Or, "Clara was my grandmother's name!" While that is slightly depressing, it doesn't upset me. (Call me Claire or Carla and then you'll see all kinds of angry!)

I've come to terms with my old lady name. When I meet people, I actually say, "My name is Clara, like an old lady." They think it's funny and I resist laughing with them. I usually just smile and hope my dentures don't fall out. :)

Do you like your name?

No comments: