Sunday, April 23, 2006

Lubbock And All Its Glory

As many of you know, I went to Lubbock this weekend for my friend Mike's senior art exhibit. He'll be graduating from Tech next month, but he invited all of us to his exhibit because he's not into the whole cap and gown thing. Anyway... here's the story about my weekend and there are photos below. Here goes...

I flew to Lubbock way too early on Friday morning. The flight ended up being delayed, but I finally got to the Panhandle. I sat next to the most bizaar man on the plane who kept reading my Cosmo over my shoulder. He even asked me about the Man Manual section of Cosmo. Eww! Anyway, the Lubbock airport only has FOUR entrances but I still had trouble finding Mike. Finally we found each other and headed off to do a million things. Lunch, shopping, a beer run, etc.

I was almost unable to buy my pineapple rum because the 22-year-old girls working at Doc's Liquor thought my ID was fake. In a way, I was flattered but I was really wanting that rum so I ended up getting huffy. Long story short - I got the goods and Mike got about 200 bucks worth of beer for his party! Then Mike took me out to Slaton, TX (where his exhibit was held) to see his artwork. I'd never seen it close up before. The photos below are a few of his cool sculptures. Mike is a rock star!

Liv drove into town while Mike and I were hogging down at Freebirds. We told Liv to meet us at the hotel where she and I were staying. When Mike and I pulled into the parking lot, Liv had already popped open a Lone Star beer from her big cooler that was fully stocked. There's something very "Panhandley" about drinking Lone Star in a hotel parking lot! We decided to save our beer for the party and we went to a local bar to drink.

On the way to the bar, Liv and I got mooned. This little mini-van pulled up next to us and began honking. We looked over and saw what looked like a large ham pressed against the windows. The mini-van had really dark tinting that I'm pretty sure is illegal in Texas. But we could still see the action. Typically, after a mooning, the driver pulls away or turns. But we were at a red light.... so we sat there in the most awkward moment. The girl in the front passenger side of the mini-van looked so humiliated.

On Saturday, Liv and I went to the Buddy Holly Center. There is an area with some of his memorabilia and there is also an art gallery in there. It was actually very cool. The glasses Buddy Holly was wearing at the time of his death are in the memorial area. And the story is that there is blood and flesh still in the frames. Yuck! Liv and I walked around then hit the gift shop. We scored some killer Buddy Holly glasses of our own... girly ones. Pictures below!

We went out to Mike's exhibit that evening and he had a FULL house. There was good food, tons of drinks, good music and fantastic art. We all had a great time. After the exhibit we went to a local bar, The Gas Light, and had drinks. (We actually went through Mike's two-hundy worth of beer and all of Liv's stash.) We ended our night at the bar and headed home.

I flew home way too early this morning and that's why I'm already here posting this. I couldn't wait to share the stories and photos. I am so very blessed with such amazing friends and I am grateful for weekends like this one. These people are gold.

Liv, Clara and Mike - check out our Buddy Holly glasses!
Image hosting by Photobucket

What WTAMU has brought together, let no man put asunder.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Two of Mike's sculptures
Image hosting by Photobucket

This is my favorite sculpture of Mike's
Image hosting by Photobucket

Mike and his beautiful sister, Christie
Image hosting by Photobucket

Mike and Chase
Image hosting by Photobucket

Liv and me at the exhibit rocking our Buddy Holly glasses. The Budapest t-shirt is an inside joke that very few people can know. ;o)
Image hosting by Photobucket

Here I am being goofy at The Buddy Holly Center.
Image hosting by Photobucket

This is my new tie-skirt that I finally got to wear!
Image hosting by Photobucket

No comments: