Friday, July 22, 2005

Classy Galveston

Ok...so my brother got a kick ass promotion at work. While I was very excited to hear this news, I was very sad to find out that he had to move in order to take this new position. He moved to Galveston about 2 weeks ago and I went down there with some family to check out the new digs.
He's got a sweet set up and lives just blocks from the ferry dock. We drove onto a ferry and hit Crystal Beach. We found a good spot, got all our stuff off the truck, set up all the kids' toys, smeared sunblock all over and got our sand castle going. There was this nasty little shop that looked dilapidated and it was tucked somewhat near our truck. It really looked like you could throw a potato chip on that shop and the whole thing would collapse. We just ignored it. At least until some dirty old man came by a bit later and opened up the shop. He started setting up all his nasty items for sale. One example was a flag that looked like a Budweiser can only it said, "Buttweiser" and had girls in thongs on it. Oh and if you ever need a confederate flag bikini, I know where to find one. Really classy stuff he's selling there. We again ignored the shop until the dirty old man put out a sign that said, "Show me your tits." To make matters worse, he had a bull horn and would yell, "Wooo hooo! Show 'em to me!" as women would drive by. Ewww! I looked over at my sister, her husband and their 2 young boys. One of the boys said, "What are tits?" And my sister only replied with, "Pack it up." So we got all our crap and headed to a new spot. Bummer...I was hoping to show him mine and get enough free stuff for everyone on that end of the sea wall.

The next day we discovered that our beach, Crystal Beach, is where a young girl was attacked by a shark one week earlier! Holy shit, man! My nephews were in that seaweed filled water. Did you know that the beaches in Galveston are COVERED in red and brown seaweed? When we were in the water, the seaweed brushed up against our legs and it freaked us the hell out! Then we found out there was a potential shark bite waiting for us in that water? No way, dude. I was willing to go to the beach, but once the water hit my knees, I was outta there.

Our short trip was fun - it's always fun to hang out with the family. And I met some very interesting characters while I was there. I've attached a photo of some of them. But it seems to me that Galveston is an acquired taste. Maybe I just need to visit it a bit more and get used to it. Or maybe I should go there by myself. Or maybe I should just wait for the moon to align with Pluto and change the tides so that there is less seaweed and definitely no sharks.

The Classy Shop on Crystal Beach.


An actual license plate I saw in Galveston.












Foot propped up, window down, cigarette - the Galveston way of driving.














Clark W. Griswald in the house!

No comments: