Wednesday, December 05, 2007

¡Fridalicious!

Oh. My. Gravy! Last night M and I went to Frida's Mexican Bistro for dinner. It's a cozy, new place tucked in the Cedar Springs area of Dallas, otherwise known as the gay district.

It turns out the owner of the restaurant, Jose Cruz, is from the same village in Mexico as Frida Kahlo. That definitely gives him some Frida-credibility. But Jose also built his famous culinary reputation at The Mansion. Yes, that Mansion.

I started off with a Frida-Rita (there's fresh guava in the margarita!) which was strong and sweet. Our appetizer was taquitos stuffed with potato and sprinkled on top was queso blanco. It came with a side of guacamole. The taquitos were flavorful and surprisingly light. That guacamole was so fresh that I could smell it even before the plate hit the table. They also brought out chips and salsa. I've never had salsa like that in my life! It was so good I was eating it with a fork!

M ordered arrachera a la chininque which was a skirt steak with roasted peppers and beans. The peppers were in this creamy, spicy sauce. Delish! The beans were so good that M wanted to order a giant bowl of them to go. I ordered sabana de pollo which was a pounded chicken breast covered in a mixture of queso blano and mushrooms. It also came with rice and sauteed veggies: carrots, peppers, chiles and jicama. ¡Aye Chihuahua!

M and I absolutely LOVED everything at Frida's. I can only remember 2 other times that food made me swoon and that was in Rome and Paris. And now I can add Frida's to the swoon-worthy list! What can I say? I'm crazy in love and now I kinda want to grow a unibrow.

Me in front of Frida's Bistro after the feast!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are totally taking me there next time I go for a visit!!!

Anonymous said...

What about crack soup at Wolfgang Puck's??? Didn't that make the swoon-worthy list? Huh, Huh?!

Food like that makes me kind of forget about the uni-brow. Mustdo.

Me said...

Wolfgang Puck's crack soup was awesome and is an original. Kinda like Freebirds. But not swoon-worthy. It's just that hard to make the swoon-worthy list. And it goes to show just how good the food is at Frida's!

Me said...

Liv and Gunther - next time you're in Dallas we'll make a date to go!