Thursday, November 01, 2007

Some Things Never Change

I flew to the Panhandle to visit some friends and family. The Amarillo area is weird because there is a certain small town feel to it after all these years. I went to pick up my rental car on the other side of the airport and the worker just handed me the keys. He didn't check my paperwork, he didn't even ask my name. He just smiled, put my luggage in the rental and waved as I drove away. It was something right out of 1967 ...minus the whole racist/segregation thing.

I spent Friday at my Tía Susana's house in my old home-town and she showed me some of her awesome recipes. Albondigas, frijoles and home-made corn tortillas. Yummy! On Saturday, my buddy Livia and I decided to go back to my old hometown to see my Tía and hit the garage sales. We went to a local convenience store and looked for the newspaper but they, "didn't have it yet." It was 9:30 a.m. and there was no paper yet? WTF? We checked another store and there was nothing. Finally, at the 3rd store we were able to pick up a copy of Friday's newspaper! I felt as if I Livia and I were in the twilight zone. That crazy episode where it turns into 1967 once you cross the city limits of the small town.

On Sunday, Livia and I stayed in Amarillo and went out searching for some breakfast tacos. We went to a store and they only had bacon tacos. Yuck. This little Latina eats no pork so we had to try another store. The second store only had tortas at lunch. Dammit! Finally, the third store was the charm. I had to beg them not to put beef on mine. This little Latina eats no beef either! We felt like Goldilocks needing 3 tries to get the right food.

I couldn't believe it took 3 stores to get an old newspaper and 3 stores to get breakfast. But, in all honesty, the trip was a success. I scored some cool old books for my collection and I found some funny stuff at the Amarillo Flea Market. I got to watch Livia kick ass in a tennis match. I got a tour of my old university. And best of all, My Tía Susana showed me her coveted recipe for capirotada. And I have proof...

My Tía's apron but my capirotada!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My Tía and me after 2 long days of cooking.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Unknown said...

totally love your blogs!!