Monday, February 19, 2007

Little Life Still Little

I had one of those reflective kind of weekends. I'm 31 now and my life is not exactly where I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I love my little life. But it's odd how things turn out the way they do. I had many ideas for my life when I was younger. Those ideas that meant so much to me back then faded somehow ...and I didn't even notice they had faded. I realized this weekend that I didn't care that they had faded.

You see, there was a time when I was delusional about my future. Way back in my pre-teen years I thought I would be enjoying a wild life while married to Ad Rock from the Beastie Boys. Then, as a teenager, I was totally convinced that I would be married to an English bloke who would insist that we name our children Ian, Liam and Hyacinth. In my under-grad years, I thought I would get married after grad school and I would just pick up some dude on Fry Street. I never did suspect that I would be 31 and not even thinking about marriage. I have nothing against marriage - I just don't think about it for myself.

I went to a bridal shower for my friend Candace on Saturday afternoon which started my life examination. And as the weekend crept by, I really thought about how different my life turned out to be. The thing that surprised me the most is how happy I am with the way my life is going. If I was 17 and someone told me that I would be single at 31, I probably would have jumped off Reunion Tower. And yet, here I am, totally loving life!

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade my sweetie for the world. He is one of the most beautiful parts of my life. But our upcoming trip to Vegas will not include a visit to a chapel. :o) My little life may still be little - but I now know that it's unfolding just as it should be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting.